Whenever the saying of “Let’s go to the movies…” comes around (which I wish was more often) I always sing the rest of that song from Annie the musical in my head “Let’s go see the stars!
Red lights holler
What do we care?
Movies are there!”
This movie so perfectly reflects the joy and excitement that seeing a new film brings. I just love the thrill as the curtains part and reveal the big screen behind, filling me with curiosity of what the movie is going to bring.
But let’s be honest here… you cannot get the true movie experience without that favourite movie snack by your side… for some it may be maltesers and m&ms (which I couldn’t agree more with!) but also that ever faithful popcorn.
Just waiting for you to fish your hand down into the deep bucket and return with a handful of buttery popcorny goodness.
Ahhh let the good times roll….
But with such a crazy crazy year under the way, it’s hard to find time (oh how I wish!) to go to the movies…
But there is nothing I look forward to more than kicking back on a saturday night in my pj’s in front of the TV with the newest movie release, or even an old classic!
(It’s close enough to the movie experience, right?)
And what better to top of this nightly fun then to enjoy it with your favourite pal.
And by pal I mean food. And by food I mean non other than the dearly beloved popcorn.
Movies and popcorn just go hand in hand!
Just like Christmas and gingerbread, or Easter and chocolate.
It’s just. meant. to be.
But what movies are the ones that would be so perfect to top off a crazy crazy week you ask with a bucket of popcorn in hand?
Here is my top 10 favourite movies in no particular order, to kick back, relax, have a good laugh and enjoy after a week that was to metal to remember:
1. The Holiday
2. Knotting Hill
3. F.R.I.E.N.D.S. series (even though it’s not a movie, it couldn’t not be on the list)
4. Anchor Man
5. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
6. Harry Potter Series (yes – big fan right here)
7. My Big Fat Greek Wedding
8. Disney Movies (they all never fail to make me feel better… and maybe sing along to every song…….)
9. Indiana Jones Series
10. Blues Brothers
I could keep going, but we’d be here past Christmas!
Right. Back to popcorn. Got a bit side tracked there daydreaming of movies….
Here is a nourish, keep coming back for more, ‘did I just consume all that?’, movie perfect popcorn with a little change from your run-of-the-mill butter popcorn (which is still amazing might I just say!)
The salt from the peanuts is the perfect contrast to the sweet carmel flavour, which is accompanied by the recognizable popcorn crunch with the perfect amount of nuttiness from the peanuts. Think peanut butter popcorn… almost!
let’s get poppin’! (mind the pun)
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ cup popping corn125g butter
¾ cup caster sugar
2 tablespoons golden syrup
1 cup salted peanuts
1. Make the popcorn according to the packet directions, or a super easy way (which is less easy to burn – pheww!) where you place the un-popped popcorn in a microwavable dish with a sealable lid and place enough oil in the dish to lightly coat the popcorn kernels, then place the sealable lid on, put in a microwave on ‘high’ for 5 minutes or until you only hear around 1 popcorn pop about every 5 seconds – quick and easy!
2. In a medium saucepan, combine butter, sugar and syrup and bring to the boil. Boil for 3-4 minutes. 3-4 minutes brings a chewy texture to the caramel (The longer you boil the harder the caramel will be when it sets)
3. Combine the popcorn and nuts in a large bowl. Pour over the caramel, and toss gently until all the popcorn and nuts are coated then place on a lined baking tray and allow to cool.
(whilst sneaking some warm freshly caramel coated popcorn for yourself)
DAISY AND THE FOX