What do you think when you see this magnificent substance?
-“The comfort food that will ALWAYS be there for you no matter what happens?” (Which is true through and through might I add!)
-“See? Are you kidding?! To late, it’s already gone! Done! Consumed! Probably down in my stomach by now”
-“Imaging yourself in Candy Land, Willy Wonka’s Factory! Drinking from the melted chocolate pond…. mmmmmmmmmm”
Well, for me, this brings back the days when I was a wee little lass and my sister, bro and I would eagerly watch mum scraping, to the very last little dribble of the chocolaty…. silky…. (we’re all drooling right?) brownie mixture into the baking tray, as we would all jump up and down and beg for her to leave us a nice puddle of brownie mixture for us to lick up, covering our faces with that beloved brownie mixture. Well I guess those puppy dog eyes really knew when to come out to play, as victory was ours! Before we became enemies of each other, quickly buzzing and winning the best prize of all…… Licking the spoon. That’s right. I went there. Although, not long before that indescribable chocolaty aroma filled the house, as we watched through the oven window as our sweet little friend was cooking away…
Ahhhhh, those were the days…
Well, with a little bit of spare time up my sleeve I was able to somewhat recreate those found memories by whipping up a batch of the world wide favourite. (This time with the spoon and bowl to myself – WIN!)
And this time with a little tasty twist…
With the beautifully moist centre and the crumbly exterior and that beloved chocolaty brownie flavor, which perfectly matches with the subtle flavour from the raspberry coulis
It’s time to get excited my friends!
Get your spoons, oven, bowls and chocolate at the ready!
RUSTIC RASPBERRY BROWNIES
100g dark cooking chocolate
100g milk cooking chocolate
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup plain flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup raspberry coulis
or to home-make the raspberry berry coulis:
250g raspberries (frozen or fresh – what ever it convenient!)
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup of caster sugar
1. Combine all the ingredients in a blender and blitz until the sugar crystals are no longer present (here you can dip your fingers in and rub them together to test)2. Push the coulis through a sieve to separate that beautifully silkiness from those seeds
3. Store in an airtight jar until needed!
Note: Raspberry Coulis is one winning topping for ice-cream – get excited
Rustic Raspberry Brownies:
1. Preheat the oven to 170C, and line an approximately 22cm square cake pan with baking paper
2. You can either melt the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth then remove the bowl from the saucepan and set aside.
OR do the cheats way (which yes I am guilty of, but why not when its so much quicker and easier? I am right?) by placing the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and melting in the microwave at 20 second intervals, stirring, until nice and silky – be careful not to burn it though!
3. Combine the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla essence in a medium mixing bowl and beat with electric beaters until well combined and paler in colour. Then add the melted chocolate and beat until combined
4. Sift the flour, cocoa, and baking powder together over the chocolate mixture and use a metal spoon to fold until combined.
5. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Then place tablespoons of the raspberry coulis around the top brownie batter then marble using a skewer.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for around 1 hour or until moist crumbs cling to the skewer inserted into the middle. Remove from the oven and set aside until cooled completely.
Now comes the fun! Turn onto a board a cut into generous slices – being sure to collect all the crumbs left behind!
Thanks for stopping by and have a simply wonderful rest of the week!
DAISY AND THE FOX